Are Daffodils Poisonous to Cats?

April 28, 2020

Are Daffodils Poisonous to Cats?

Cats love eating plants and your pretty flowers may not be spared when your cat is craving to eat plants.

Yes, daffodils are toxic to kitties and your cat may be poisoned if it eats the flower. Your cat may die after eating the bulb of the flower which has the highest concentration of poison.

A Quick Look at Daffodillis

A daffodil is a house plant or flower. It blooms yellow flowers in Spring. The plant has a toxic chemical which is called lycorine.  The Daffodils bulb contains the highest concentration of lycorine. 

How to Prevent Your Cat from Getting The Paws on Daffodils

Cats love eating plants.

You can plant cat grass and make it accessible to the cat so that it can consume it when it is craving to eat plants. You may keep the flower out of reach. If your cat can’t stop eating your beautiful daffodils flower, avoid planting the daffodils plant.

Monitor your cat and make sure that it does not get in contact with the flower. 

What Should You Do if Your Cat Eats Daffodils?

If your cat has eaten the daffodils plant, it may have symptoms such as vomiting, drooling, nausea, diarrhoea and abdominal pain. These symptoms may last for about three hours.

Give your cat milk to fight the poison.

You may also rinse the mouth of your cat because the flower causes irritation in the mouth. If the symptoms last for more than three hours, you may take your cat to the vet for an examination. 

Have questions? Let us know in the comments, and we'll get back to you as soon as possible. 


Leave a comment

Comments will be approved before showing up.

TOP "\f106"